How To Set Up and Use the Filter Bar on Calendars
May 25, 2022
A majority of the EventON shortcodes give you the option of adding a filter bar that your site visitors can use to narrow down on events or dates that they are more interested in.
To be able to use this feature, we recommend starting off by setting up Sorting and Filtering Options for all your calendars. You can do this by heading over to your WP Dashboard > EventON > Settings > Sorting and Filtering as shown below:
On this page, you can globally enable or disable the sort and filter options on all calendars via the first setting on the page. You can also enable or disable the following sorting options:
- Event Main Title
- Event Color
- Event Posted Date
It is also possible to enable or disable the following filtering options:
- Past & Future Event Filtering
- Virtual Event Filtering
- Event Status Filtering
- Event Type Category #1
- Event Type Category #2
- Event Type Category #3
- Event Type Category #4
- Event Type Category #5
- Event Location
- Event Organizer
- Event Tags
- Event Speaker
Here is a screenshot of how these filters look on the front end:
If you click on each of these options, it will expose a dropdown or checkboxes containing additional options that you can use to only display a filtered list of events.
- Category 1 and Category 2 will display a list of the event type terms that have already been defined on your site. You can also enable event types 3, 4, and 5 for additional taxonomies.
- Event location lists all the locations that have been stored for your events. Clicking on a single location will filter and display all events from that location.
- Event organizer lists all the event organizers that have been assigned to each event on your site.
- Event speaker lists all speakers that have been assigned to your events through the Speakers and Schedules addon.
- The past and future events button exposes the following options: All, Only past events, Only future events.
- The virtual events button allows the visitor to select from All, Virtual events, and Non-virtual events.
- Event status will allow users to select from the defined events statuses such as scheduled, moved online, canceled, physical events, etc.
The sorting and filtering options section are enabled by default in the calendar shortcode but you can disable them by adding the following attribute:
It is also possible to expand the filter options by default by adding the following attribute:
Here is an example shortcode:
Did this article help you? If not, send us a ticket via helpdesk